|Version 276 (modified by pablo, 4 years ago) (diff)|
The JW Player version 5.0 beta
is currently available.
Click here for more details.
JW Player for Flash
There's a separate overview page for the JW Player for Silverlight?.
Read these pages if you want to get started with the JW Player:
- An overview? of the player structure and functionalities.
- All flashvars? for customizing the layout, behaviour and files to load:
- All file formats?, streaming types and XML feeds you can play:
- Crossdomain security? restrictions and solutions.
If you want to learn about embedding the player (or another Flash movie) on a website, the swfobject wiki is the place to go.
- All events? that are broadcasted by the player:
Check out the plugins section (below) if you want to modify the player itself. Using plugins is preferred over building a custom player.
These pages are for Flash designers that want to create custom skins for the player:
- How to skin the player? using Flash CS4.
- A skin reference? that contains the name and nesting of all elements.
A couple of high-quality skins (including .fla and fonts) are available as free download in the source browser.
These pages are for actionscript developers that want to extend the player's functionality:
- Building plugins? to extend the player's functionality.
- Compiling plugins? using the free, cross-platform Flex SDK.
Note: If you're looking to develop a plugin in order to serve ads in the JW Player, please contact us beforehand. We have a special SDK for advertisers and advertising networks.
The source code of each version of the player can be obtained through the source code browser (click the zip links at the bottom). Full changelogs for each version can be obtained through the ticket browser. Here's the direct links for the 4.x range so far:
- 4.6 (download, changelog): introduced bitrate switching?.
- 4.5 (download, changelog): introduced the dock?.
- 4.4 (download, changelog): introduced the jwplayer namespace? for XML feeds.
- 4.3 (download, changelog): introduced screen space claiming? by plugins.
- 4.2 (download, changelog): introduced multiple flashvars per playlistentry?.
- 4.1 (download, changelog): introduced the plugin API?.
- 4.0 (download, changelog): introduced SWF skinning?.
Version 4.0 to 4.5 can be compiled with Flash CS3 or CS4. Version 4.6 can only be compiled with Flash CS4.
The absolute latest (unstable!) version can be checked out through Subversion:
svn co http://developer.longtailvideo.com/svn/trunk/as3
In the addons section of our public site, a lot of plugins are available for use with the JW Player. Here's the documentation of the plugins we built ourselves:
- Age Gate?
The compilation tutorial? explains how you can compile the source code of these plugins yourself.