Ticket #1426 (closed feature: fixed)
Related: Just in time RSS loading
|Reported by:||jeroen||Owned by:||sanil|
Description (last modified by jeroen) (diff)
At present, the feed with related videos is loaded on JWPLAYER_PLAYLIST_ITEM. This results in:
- Slower player initialization, since the related feed and thumbs are loaded together with the main assets.
- Wasted bandwidth, since the related screen is watched by a subset of viewers.
This is fixed by delaying the RSS loading/parsing to the moment the related screen is first displayed.
Loading / Errors
This setup does imply a few changes to loading and error states in the player though:
- If a related videos feed is being loaded, we should already fade in the related videos overlay, but not yet display any thumbs. Instead, the title should say Retrieving related videos...
- If, for some reason, no videos were returned, the overlay can display a different message: No related videos found.
Note that the Related plugin currently hides the Related videos button and/or discards the Related videos onComplete fade if there's a feed error. This logic should get removed, since it's not possible to do anymore with just-in-time loading. The Error handling test page can be used to test this behavior.
- Summary changed from Related: just in time feed loading to Just in time related videos RSS loading
- Milestone changed from Plugins to Player 6.0
- Description modified (diff)
- Summary changed from Just in time related videos RSS loading to Related: Just in time RSS loading